14 juin 2014

Blogging Challenge, Day 7 of 20

Today's challenge: Share a classroom management tip. What is one thing that you do that works for you? How could it be adapted to others?


IMHO, classroom management begins with demonstrating respect, caring and compassion for my students and their lives outside my classroom walls. When students recognize these qualities in me, they reciprocate. Classroom management takes care of itself. 


On those rare occasions when a student does NOT return respect for me or for other classmates, it is often his/her peers that put a stop to the undesirable behavior. The class takes shared ownership in what goes on during our time together.


I realize my students have 4-6 classes in addition to mine; they are involved in sports, may have a part-time job, are experiencing the pain of a divorce, a terminal illness or a death in the family; they may be taking on the role of care-provider for younger siblings, etc., etc.


To quote Stephen R. Covey, "Seek first to understand, then to be understood." (Emphasis mine)



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire