17 juin 2014

Blogging Challenge, Day 9 of 20

Today's challenge: Share a topic/idea from class [this week]. What is one thing you did with students [this week] that you will (or will not) do again? Why?


A favorite of my students is the CHANSON DE LA SEMAINE, the SONG OF THE WEEK. I check the top 40 song list in France to select one to share. I have to preview videos and lyrics, to keep it school appropriate, and often have to skim past 12-15 English-language songs that are at the top of the list! When I show the current list in class, it creates an interesting discussion topic.  I ask my students why our American 'top hits' lists don't include songs from other cultures. 


In levels I-III, I simply play the song as students are entering and getting settled for class. I show the clip officiel at the beginning of the week, and then try to find a version which includes the lyrics. When I can, and if the song has relevance to a current classroom topic, I point that out to students. In levels IV-V, we do a more in-depth study on Wednesdays. Those upper-level students really enjoy their MERCREDI MUSICAL


A couple of useful sites for French teachers are:


France Top 40 <http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=11>

TV5 Monde <http://enseigner.tv5monde.com/collection/paroles-de-clips>


Try it! I guarantee your students will begin downloading the music to their personal electronic devices, singing along, and even researching and suggesting more music to share in class!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire